In: Actors in real life
“I never lost an argument and my parents assumed I would be a lawyer. They cast me in that role.”
From the movie: The Alamo
“I called him a ‘catamite’; that’s one step up from ‘assistant pederast’!”
Dennis Quaid – Sam Houston
In: The Art of Acting and Filmmaking
“You never heard of a comedy team that didn’t fight, did you?”
“She was too beautiful for words, but non for arguments.”
From the movie: Rocky V
“- George Washington Duke: C’mon, punk. Touch me and I’ll sue.
[Rocky uppercuts Duke]
– Rocky Balboa: Sue me for what?”
Richard Gant – George Washington Duke
Sylvester Stallone – Rocky Balboa
“My parents only had one argument in forty-five years. It lasted forty-three years.”
From the movie: Coal Miner’s Daughter
– Loretta Lynn: Dadgum it, Doo! You never ask me nothing! You just say, “Hey baby, here’s the deal, take it or leave it”. Well, it’s drivin’ me crazy, Doo!
– Doolittle Lynn: Well, hell, then let’s go up to the house, call a lawyer and get a divorce. I’m tired of this bullshit.
– Loretta Lynn: I don’t want no divorce! I just want the dadgum…
Sissy Spacek – Loretta Lynn
Tommy Lee Jones – Doolittle Lynn
From the movie: The Ninth Configuration
“- Captain Cutshaw: Can you prove there’s a foot?
– Colonel Kane: There are some arguments from reason.
– Captain Cutshaw: Are those the things we use to justify dropping atomic bombs on Japan?”
Scott Wilson – Capt. Billy Cutshaw
Stacy Keach – Col. Vincent Kane
From the movie: Drumline
“I don’t know what beef is between you, but you’d better grill it up and eat it, because it is my ass that is on the line.”
Orlando Jones – Dr. Lee
From the movie: The Ice Storm
“The only big fight we’ve had in years is about whether to go back into couples therapy.”
Kevin Kline – Ben Hood
From the movie: The Diary of Anne Frank
“- Anne Frank: I’ve never heard grownups quarrel before.
– Mr. Hans Van Daan: It’s not a quarrel, it’s a discussion. And I’ve never heard children so rude before.”
Millie Perkins – Anne Frank
Lou Jacobi – Mr. Hans Van Daan
From the movie: The Band Wagon
“- Lester Marton: Shhh! Someone’s liable to think we are quarreling!
– Lily Marton: We’re not quarreling! We’re in complete agreement! We hate each other!”
Oscar Levant – Lester Marton
Nanette Fabray – Lily Marton
From the movie: Harvey
“- Elwood P. Dowd: Well, I think this calls for a celebration! Why don’t we all go down to Charlie’s Place and have a drink?
– Veta Louise Simmons: You’re not going anywhere, Elwood. You’re staying right here.
– Myrtle Mae Simmons: Yes, Uncle Elwood.
– Judge Gaffney: Stay here, son.
– Elwood P. Dowd: I plan to leave, you want me to stay. Oh, an…”
James Stewart – Elwood P. Dowd
Josephine Hull – Veta Louise Dowd Simmons
Victoria Horne – Myrtle Mae Simmons
William H. Lynn – Judge Omar Gaffney
From the animation: Alice in Wonderland
Better look first, for if one drinks much from a bottle marked “Poison”, it’s almost certain to disagree with you sooner or later.
Kathryn Beaumont – Alice in Wondeland
From the movie: Marriage Story
“- Charlie: We didn’t have a deal, it was something we discussed.
– Nora Fanshaw: So it’s a deal when it’s something you want and a discussion when Nicole wants it?”
Adam Driver – Charlie
Laura Dern – Nora Fanshaw
From the movie: All About Eve
“- Margo: Birdie, you don’t like Eve, do you?
– Birdie: You looking for an answer or an argument?
– Margo: An answer.
– Birdie: No.
– Margo: Why not?
– Birdie: Now you want an argument.”
Bette Davis – Margo Channing
Thelma Ritter – Birdie Coonan
From the movie: Downton Abbey
“- Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Let’s not argue.
– Violet Crawley: I never argue, I explain.”
Hugh Bonneville – Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham
Maggie Smith – Violet Crawley
In: Actors and Politics
“Politics is about divisions. Wherever you come in on the subject, there are divisions.”
From the movie: 1900
“Fighting eh? Lucky you. I guess you love each other.”
Stefania Casini – Neve – Epileptic Woman
From the movie: Kindergarten Cop
“- Crisp: Mother, you are going to make him sick. You stuffed all this crap down my throat for years, and there was nothing wrong with me!
– Eleanor Crisp: That’s why there was nothing wrong with you.
– Cullen Crisp: Now, how can you argue with that?”
Richard Tyson – Crisp
Carroll Baker- Eleanor Crisp
“I’ve had a few arguments with people, but I never carry a grudge. You know why? While you’re carrying a grudge, they’re out dancing.”
From the movie: Barton Fink
I pulled off early today. Took your advice, went to a doctor about this ear. He says “you have an ear infection, ten dollars please”. So I says “I told you I had an ear infection, you give me ten dollars!” Well, that started an argument.
John Goodman – Charlie Meadows
From the movie: Phantom Thread
“- Johanna: Where have you gone, Reynolds. There’s nothing I can say to get your attention aimed back at me, is there?
– Reynolds Woodcock: I cannot begin my day with a confrontation, please. I’m delivering the dress today, and I can’t take up space with confrontation. I simply don’t have time for confrontations.”
Camilla Rutherford – Johanna
Daniel Day-Lewis – Reynolds Woodcock
From the movie: Lilo & Stitch
“- Nani: I’ll tell you what. If you promise not to fight anymore, I promise not to yell at you, except on special occasions.
– Lilo: Tuesdays and bank holidays would be good.”
Tia Carrere – Nani
Daveigh Chase – Lilo
From the movie: Home Sweet Hell
“- Mona Champagne: If you cannot argue constructively, what will mother do?
– Allison Champagne: Destroy our video games.
– Mona Champagne: Andrew…?
– Andrew Champagne: And the gaming system.
– Allison Champagne: Burn it while we watch.
– Mona Champagne: That’s right. Don’t forget what happened to your Legos.”
Katherine Heigl – Mona Champagne
Madison Wolfe – Allison Champagne
Aiden Flowers – Andrew Champagne
1 of 8 Next